The Eyebrows Guide
When it comes to beauty, there are some things that will completely transform your look, no matter how dramatically you change them. Eyebrows are one of those things: from complementing your face shape and taking you from day to evening, to top tips on regrowth, we spoke to Urban Retreat Eyebrow Technician, Nimisha Mistry, about the best ways to look after those brows...
Brows and your face shape...
- Eyebrows are very important for complementing your face shape. People like to follow the trends, but it’s much better to go for what suits you.
- For example, a round face doesn’t suit rounded eyebrows as this will only emphasise a round face; they should be more arched so that they stretch the face slightly.
- For a heart-shaped face, eyebrows should be slightly arched and lifted at the ends to complement the wider part of the heart shape at the top.
- If you have a longer face and arched eyebrows, this will stretch your face even more, so make them a bit straighter with a small lift at the ends.
On low maintenance brows...
- Get your brows professionally threaded once a month as this lasts longer, and you know each and every hair is coming out from the root, unlike waxing, where the hair can break and it doesn’t come out from the root.
- With tweezing you can’t remove every small hair, and it’s so time-consuming as you have to do it every 3-4 days.
- You can then pencil your brows in, but tinting is the best option if you don’t want to spend hours correcting your shape.
On the best tweezers...
- There are two types of tweezers on the market: slanted and pointy. The slanted tweezers are for very fine, blonde hair. Pointy tweezers are really good for shaping and for thick, coarse hair as they have a good grip.
On plucking from the top of the arch...
- If you’re confident, you can pluck from the top of the eyebrow arch, but the chances are, you will always over pluck. However, with threading, you have to remove from the top of the arch as it helps define the shape.
Tips for brow regrowth...
- The best thing to do is completely leave them alone for 4-6 weeks, as this gives the roots time to grow back.
- Always nourish them as much as you can. You can use a good lash serum, or, I also believe in castor oil for growing back brows.
Top tips for filling in brows – pencil or powder?
- You can use both; but if you want a look for day, use powder as it blends in well, covers every hair and doesn’t cover too much of the skin, so looks very natural.
- Pencil is great to use for evening, when you have your full face of make-up on, as this really defines your shape and makes your look stronger.
On famous brows...
- I like Beyoncé's brows and a well-known Bollywood actress, Deepika Padukone (see main image).
On eyebrow no-nos...
- Even if they’re on-trend, don’t go for thin eyebrows because once the trends change, you’ll have to grow them back!
To achieve the best brows for you, shop from our must-have edit below.
Make the most of your eyes with our Mascara Guide.
You can visit Urban Retreat in Harrods on the Fifth Floor.