10 Tips For A Perfect Tan
Bronze, sun-kissed skin can make you look and feel healthier; but with the risk of too much sun exposure causing skin damage and dreaded premature wrinkles, we’ve turned to the many great self-tan options available for that oh-so enviable glow.
We quizzed top bronzing experts for their tips on easy, streak-free self-tanning.
1. "Make sure you exfoliate at least two days prior to tanning. It is also important to moisturise every day for a week prior to application, especially around your knees, elbows, ankles and knuckles" - Jo Harris, Urban Retreat General Manager.
2. "Make sure any hair removal is carried out at least 24 hours prior to tanning to avoid skin sensitivity" - Marie Schmid, Clarins’Head of Professional Treatment Training.
3. "Always apply using an applicator mitt. This ensures an even, streak-free finish without leaving the palms of your hands deeply golden. When tanning your hands and feet, don’t add any additional product to the tanning mitt - just use the residue from the body application, this will be enough" - Jules Heptonstall, St. Tropez Tanning & Skin Finishing Expert.
4. "Using a product that has a tint is great for beginners. This way you can see where you have applied the tan. Also, using a mousse is very easy and absorbs into the skin quickly and effectively" - Jo Harris.
5. "Dab a small amount of Vaseline onto eyebrows, hairline, and cuticles to avoid the self-tan from taking to these areas" - Marie Schmid.
6. "Apply one coat of self-tan to the entire body. Then apply a second coat to inner thighs, under your calves, under your jawline and your outer torso to give the illusion of a more contoured and shaded body" - Jules Heptonstall.
7. "A very small amount of moisturiser rubbed into the wrist like a perfume helps to prevent a stop line of tan and palms" - Marie Schmid.
8. "Splash your face with cold water before you apply facial self-tan. This will close your pores and stop them clogging" - Jules Heptonstall.
9. "If you need to remove excess product or mistakes, exfoliating will help remove the top layer of skin to lift the tan. Also, swimming helps as the chlorine will strip the colour ; while at the pool, also use the steam room where the sweating process will ease the tan from the skin" - Jo Harris.
10."The most natural way to apply bronzing powder is where the sun catches the skin naturally; the easiest way to create this effect is using the Guerlain figure of 3 technique. Simply sweep the brush from the centre of the forehead, round and down onto the cheek area, then back along the cheek and round and down onto the jawline" - Richard Hawkins, Guerlain Brand Ambassador.
Shop our self-tan edit below.
Complete your summer look with By Terry's tinted cheek colours.