Cook up this classic French pudding, making full use of delicious berries. Batter and fruit combine to make a delightful dessert that’s super-simple to make.
500g mixed berries
2 tbsp brandy or kirsch
80g caster sugar
2 tbsp demerara sugar
50g plain flour
Pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten
250ml semi-skimmed or full-fat milk
20g butter, melted, plus extra to grease the baking dish
½ tsp vanilla essence
Zest from ½ lemon
Crème fraîche or double cream, to serve
1. Place the berries, brandy or kirsch, and 2 tbsp of the caster sugar in a bowl. Lightly crush the fruit and set aside for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
3. Grease a tart pan or baking dish with butter, and sprinkle over 1 tbsp of the demerara sugar. Tip the fruit into the baking dish/tart pan.
4. Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt and remaining caster sugar. Whisk in the eggs, milk and melted butter until you have a smooth batter.
5. Stir in the vanilla essence and lemon zest, and pour the batter over the fruit.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the custard is set but still wobbly. Sprinkle over the remaining demerara sugar and serve with crème fraîche or double cream.
Find more recipes in the Harrods Magazine app.