The crabs found in the Harrods Food Halls are sustainably caught, put under qualitative selection and any that don’t meet the UK’s minimum size of 140mm are put straight back in the sea. This recipe’s light and delicate combination of flavours works perfectly for a simple and stylish canapé that will impress family and friends alike.
Makes 16 pieces; serves 8 as a canapé
1 banana shallot (echalion)
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tbsp caster or granulated sugar
1-2 red or white endive
2 white grapefruits
2 tbsp mayonnaise
120g white crabmeat
½ green apple, cored and sliced into matchsticks
2-3 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley
¼ mild red chilli, finely chopped
1. Remover the outer layers of the banana shallot and slice it thinly, then soak the slices in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the vinegar and sugar in a separate bowl and set aside.
2. After 10 minutes, remove the shallot slices and squeeze out the excess water with your hands. Add the slices to the vinegar mixture and marinate for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, separate the endive or chicory into 16 leaves and arrange them on a serving plate. Peel the grapefruit and slice into 16 segments using a sharp knife. Place one slice of grapefruit on each leaf; repeat.
4. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the pickled shallot, then finely chop the rest. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, crabmeat and chopped shallot. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
5. Spoon a tablespoon of crabmeat, 4-5 apple matchsticks and a few rings of the reserved shallot onto the top of the grapefruit slices, then garnish with parsley and chilli. Serve immediately.
Find more recipes in the Harrods Magazine app.