A charming chicken dish that's sure to delight your dinner guests, Hélène Darroze suggests serving with hearty fries for the ultimate comforting meal.
1 chicken (approx. 1.8kg)
60g duck fat
3kg white onions, finely chopped
2 laurel leaves
1 rosemary sprig
3 thyme sprigs
1 garlic bulb
200ml chicken broth
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Taking the whole chicken, cut the chicken supremes and keep the bones, cut the thighs and take off the rest of the meat from the carcass. Slice the supremes in half and separate the drumstick.
3. Place a teaspoon of the duck fat in a large casserole dish. Salt each piece of chicken and fry on each side until golden. Remove the chicken pieces and place in a deep dish, leaving the chicken juices and duck fat in the casserole dish.
4. Add the onions to the casserole dish, along with the rest of the duck fat, and season with salt and chilli pepper. Gently cook the onions until golden, at which point add the herbs, garlic and chicken broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Place the chicken with its juices back into the casserole dish with the onion and place in the preheated oven for a further 20 minutes.
6. Once completely cooked, add a sprinkle of fleur de sel and serve with large fries.