Take inspiration from the sunniest of fruits for your home-entertaining line-up. Our orange and chocolate tart will earn you baking accolades and is sure to go down a treat.
For the filling:
100g cream cheese
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp orange marmalade
Zest of half an orange, finely grated
For the base and chocolate twists:
1 roll (or block) of shortcrust pastry
2 egg whites
1 roll (or block) of puff pastry
100g chocolate or hazelnut spread
3– 4 seasonal oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
1½ tbsp demerara sugar
3 tbsp marmalade
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
2. For the filling, mix together the mascarpone, cream cheese, egg yolks, sugar, marmalade, orange zest and a pinch of salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. For the base, roll out the shortcrust pastry and cut it into a 24cm-diameter circle. Prick it with a fork and place it on a piece of parchment on a baking tray; bake for 18 minutes or until the edge is light brown. Remove from the oven and brush all over with 1 egg white. Set aside.
4. For the chocolate twists, roll out the puff pastry and cut it lengthways into three pieces. Spread the chocolate or hazelnut spread onto two of the pieces. Place one piece of chocolate-coated pastry on top of the other, then place the plain piece on top.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into six strips (about 1.2cm x 35cm).
6. Twist two of the long strips together to make one swirled twist; repeat with the other strips until you have three swirled twists.
7. Put the cooked pastry base back on your worktop. Brush the edge, about an inch all the way around, with the remaining egg white. Place the chocolate twists around the edge in a circle, making sure they are well attached and there are no gaps.
8. Pour the filling into the centre and spread it evenly with a spatula. Bake for 20 minutes.
9. Remove the tart from the oven and arrange the orange slices on top. Sprinkle the demerara sugar on top of the oranges, then bake for a further 10–15 minutes, until the twists are puffed up and brown.
10. Blend the marmalade with 1 teaspoon of water, and warm it in a small pan or in a microwave. Once the tart is out of the oven, brush the marmalade mixture over the tart and the twists. Cool before serving.
Find more recipes in the Harrods Magazine app.