5 Things: Masterchef Pro
Things are heating up in the kitchen this week as the British Masterchef finalists battle it out in a bid to take the 2014 crown. From potato fondants and deconstructed desserts to mushroom velouté and lobster foam, the contestants’ seasoned palates and intricate presentation put our Friday night takeaway to shame.
If the furore for fine dining has got you in the mood for something a little more complicated than your usual weeknight fare, our latest edition of 5 Things offers up the starter tools that every chef worth his salt will vouch for.
1. Le Creuset Casserole Dish - an iconic favourite with coveted kitchen status, these pots are made to last in durable cast iron with a timeless enamel finish.
2. Sage by Heston Blumenthal All-In-One Blender - stamped with the inventive chef’s seal of approval, this must-have gadget takes the effort out of food prep with handy attachments for chopping, whipping, blending and more.
3. Mauviel Cuprinox Saucepan - evenly distributing heat with its two-ply stainless steel and copper construction, this chef’s favourite is ideal for creating the perfect sauce.
4. Kai Shun Knife Set - an ultra-sharp knife is a marvel in the kitchen and this set boasts a world class reputation, hailing from Seki, a Japanese city famed for its 700-year-old samurai sword-making heritage.
5. Artisan Stand Mixer - from perfect bread dough and cake mixes to the fluffiest of meringues, this mixer’s 10-speed motor beats anything you can do by hand.
Put your new tools to good use with our favourite Gruyère recipes.
Scroll down to shop our edit of must-have kitchen gadgets.