- Previous Previous Suitcase Magazine's Insider LC:M Hotspots
- Next Next Burberry Prorsum SS16 Menswear Show
Louis-Nicolas Darbon's Guide To Tailoring
As menswear becomes the focus of the fashion world for the upcoming month, for LC:M, we invited artist and style blogger Louis-Nicolas Darbon to share his guide on how to work tailoring into everyday looks. And scroll through our exclusive shoot above to see it all in action.
Louis' Tailoring Rules:
1. It’s all about the fit, it doesn’t matter how much the suit costs. Get a good tailor, the small amends on your jackets and trousers make a huge difference to make sure the items fit you perfectly.
2. Make sure you tailor your trousers with the right length and slim over the knees. Once you find the perfect fit just make all your trousers the same.
3. Invest in great quality shoes – a pair of brown Berluti leather loafers, a pair of suede boots from John Lobb, a great pair of slippers from Church's and some white classic leather sneakers. You will notice the difference.
4. No wardrobe is complete without a double-breasted blazer, it is one of my absolute favourites and one of the most versatile pieces you can own. For a casual look, I wear it with a simple T-shirt paired with jeans and slippers. For a more dressed up look, I swap the T-shirt for a crisp white shirt.
5. Every man needs a tuxedo in his wardrobe, you always need to be prepared for a black tie dress code especially during fashion week. I like to dress my tuxedo blazer down with a T-shirt and some black jeans for a complete day-to-night look.
6. I love contrasts so I try to play around with that a lot in how I dress, like mixing designers with vintage finds. You will most likely find me in a well-fitted suit paired with sneakers or a leather jacket with some great dressed up slippers.
7. Ralph Lauren always have a good selection of well-cut blazers, shirts in different colours and fabrics, waistcoats and nice accessories like belts and pocket squares to make your look complete. Burberry is my go-to brand for all my jackets, leather jackets, trench coats and everything in between - they just have the best fit. For tailoring it can really depend, I like to create things bespoke with my tailor but I would have to say the Italians do it the best - Brioni, Brunello Cucinelli and Canali always have a great selection of everything sprezzatura.
8. Always carry at least one accessory besides your watch – a scarf, a pair of sunglasses, a hat or a portfolio.
9. Find the perfect white shirt and buy 10 of them.
10. Make sure you have a good fragrance – that will become your signature.
Shop Louis' edit below