The Swimwear Guide
While the prospect of a beachside break is always an exciting one, the thought of swimwear shopping for said holiday can be something altogether more daunting. This year, however, it needn’t be, because we’ve enlisted the experts to discover their top tips for buying swimwear that looks and feels fantastic online. So swap the bright lights of a changing room for the comfort of your own home, and read on…
1. “When shopping for holiday pieces at home, don’t forget that your body feeling will change once you’ve been by the beach for a day or two,” suggests Nina Deckers, Lazul founder and designer. “Be bold with colours, go for more vibrant tones. They make the skin glow and look gorgeous in the sun.”
2. “The basic rule for choosing the best swimwear piece is to shift focus away from what bothers you and to celebrate the parts of your body that you like best,” explains Brazilian swimwear designer Adriana Degreas. “The most important thing, though, is to go with what feels good!”
3. "Curvier women look much better in tiny bikinis, as the eye is drawn to the smaller pieces of material, making the whole body look smaller.” Agent Provocateur Creative Director, Sarah Shotton.
4. “Bandeau bikinis are great for emphasising the curves of a modest bust, while a halter neck is better for giving support to a larger bust.” Heidi Gosman, co-founder of Heidi Klein.
5. “In order for ‘apples’ to hide a tummy,” the Gottex team suggests, “choose a bathing suit with internal shapewear, which is available in one pieces, tankinis and high waist bikinis.”
6. “Tie sides at the hips will complement a petite figure without adding bulk,” Heidi Gosman explains, “while padded tops and frill details will help accentuate the bust.”
7. “Ruching can hide so many vulnerabilities,” Melissa Odabash reveals. “If you want to hide any lumps or bumps then go for a swimsuit with ruched panelling.”
8. “Those with a pear shape should try to accentuate the bust, instead of the hip area,” suggests Heidi Gosman. “A well-fitting one piece is ideal because it will add dimension and elongate the silhouette.”
9. “Kaftans and tunics in luxurious printed silks will take you from daytime fun poolside to dinners and dancing in the evening seamlessly,” advises Nina Deckers.
10. “When shopping online I think it’s really important to go for styles that you know work well for your body shape,” adds Sarah Shotton. “Once you find a suit that you love, it’s really fun to start building a collection in different colour-ways.”
And once you’ve found a style that works for you? “Be kind to your swimwear,” implores Nina Deckers. “After using it in chlorine or salt water, rinse it with normal water. After your holiday, handwash the lycra pieces in baby shampoo so all residue is taken out and your swimsuit can keep its elasticity and colour until your next trip!”
Shop our pick of the chicest swimwear pieces below and head to our The Holiday Shop to ensure you’ve packed all you need to achieve poolside perfection this summer.
Style out summer with our Top 5 Holiday Picks.